I made jam for the first time ever a few weeks ago. It was freezer jam, but it still counts.
I bought a ridiculous amount of strawberries, broke open my trusty Better Homes & Garden’s Cook Book, and got to work. About 10 minutes later, I was filling jars and about 24 hours after that I had jam! It was so easy that I can’t believe I never did it before!
Here’s the recipe:
4 cups berries 4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp lemon peel 1 1 3/4 oz package powered fruit pectin
3/4 cup water
(1) Use a potato masher to crush berries until there are 2 cups.
(2) Mix berries, sugar, and lemon peel. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(3) Combine pectin and water in small saucepan. Bring to boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
(4) Remove pectin from heat. Add to berry mixture.
(5) Stir for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is no longer grainy.
(6) Ladle into half-pint jars. Leave about 1/2 inch heads pace. Let stand for 24 hours to gel.
Did I mention it was also fantastic? ‘Cause it was.